Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hunger Games Review

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 


Photobucket


"Winning Means Fame and Fortune. Losing Means Certain Death. The Hunger Games Have Begun..."




*There are no spoilers in this review, if you want to know what happens you MUST read it lol*


Photobucket


"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."





I've heard about this book for about the past year now and it has always intrigued me but I never took the time to pick up a copy and read it. After seeing the trailer for the movie at the end of 2011, I decided I had to read it and I have to say I am glad I did. This book is not like any book I have read before, mainly because it is a sci-fi/fantasy/dystopia novel. Before reading this book, I never had a taste for that genre of novels.


This is probably one of the best books I've read recently. This novel is geared towards young adults but I think anyone of any age would enjoy. I will say, I took me about 3 weeks to read this because the beginning did not keep me engaged. Also because the beginning of the book was a little depressing. Just the way that this society is, its just horrible. Once I got to the "meat' of the book (which is the actual games), I could not put the book down. The story line definitely keeps you engaged when it comes to the action and suspense. 


I loved that the plot was not predictable like some novels can be. There were many twists and turns that I did not see coming. I also loved that this book provoked emotions in me, especially when it came to the Gamemakers and the Capitol. It really shows that their world is really messed up and we could be in the same situation if we keep making the decisions we are making as a society. 


I know that this is a fiction novel BUT I think there were numerous parallels to our world today. How we are such a consumer society and do not even realize that there are people in other parts of the country or world who are having financial hardships and some of us do not even care. I love that this novel showed how reality television and entertainment is taking over and it can be detrimental to our society. Although The Hunger Games showed reality television on an extreme level, there were many things that were a reflection of how our reality television is today.  I do not remember where I heard this, but the author (Suzanne Collins) got the idea from the book from seeing a reality television on one station and then flipping the station and seeing people in the middle east at war 




This is one novel I would recommend you to read. It was a great read and I cannot wait to see the movie and also to read "Catching Fire", which I know will be great. 


Below is The Hunger Games Trailer for the movie which comes out March 23







What books are you guys reading?




Ashley


xoxo






Also Check out another book review I did months back


Midnight and the Meaning of Love

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a great book, have you read it?

      Delete
  2. hi Ashley,
    thx for commenting on my blog =)
    Im having a giveaway contest for a hair straightener. If you're interested in entering here is my blog link: http://misscindee.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-day-contest.html

    ReplyDelete